Friday 13 August 2010

Homemade Peanut butter


OK, long time no recipe-posting from me, sorry.
Right now I am avoiding milk-products and egg and was wondering "what do vegans eat with their bread?".
I don't really mind eating a slice of bread with just tomato or cucumber, but without butter it does taste dry and boring.
Of course there is hummus and other vegan spreads I know of (and like) but I didn't want to make something time consuming like that, so I searched in the internet and mainly found ideas like making a sandwich with "XY's fake vegan meat no. Z".
I am not sooo into this products + most of them are absolutely unavailable here, so I discarded those ideas right from the start.
Then someone suggested: "peanut butter!"
It's been years since I ate peanut butter the last time, it must have been in 1997 or something, so I was interested and started to search for recipes to see if I could save some money by making it myself.
All recipes I read gave the same instructions which I am going to share with you here (with the amounts I used):

Ingredients:

ca. 3 1/2 cups of raw peanuts
ca. 3 Tbsp. of olive oil (in the recipes I read they use peanut or canola oil)
Salt to taste

So this is how you do it:


Roast the peanuts on low heat with or without the inner brown/red peel (as you prefer) until they become toasty-golden and oily looking.
Blend the roasted nuts, oil and salt in a blender or food processor until the mixture reaches the right consistency and ready!
Try adding the oil a spoon at a time, because you might need less or more oil to get it as you like it.


It took me some extra effort because our peanuts had gotten ant-infested and I had to handpick all the still edible peanuts but it was well worth the time!
I was really amazed when I tasted it and realized that the flavor is identical to store bought peanut butter!
And the preparation is easy and fast!

So I hope you all enjoy this recipe and don't forget to share your vegan bread spread recipes with me ;)





1 comment:

  1. Hi Foehre, I haven't actually tried making any nut butters myself yet, I am not sure if my "on the last legs" food processor can handle it, but seems like yours can and you should trying making almond or hazelnut butter, they are delicious! You can even make an alternative to a chocolate Nutella spread by adding some cocoa powder to hazelnut butter, along with some sweetener like regular sugar or perhaps some sort of sweet syrup, like agave and vanilla. Not sure what else I spread on my bread, but I will share if I come up with anything :)

    ReplyDelete